Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why I oppose wind turbines

Like many who grew up in rural Ontario, I migrated to Toronto in my youth. When I retire I plan on returning to my home area.

When wind turbine developments began to appear, I thought these things appeared to be a rather stupid use of land. Over time, these thoughts evolved into the desire to seek out more information on wind turbines. Once the education process began, it was too late to turn back. I regularly post comments on newspaper web sites. Blogging is new to me but I'll see how it works out. 

Wind turbines are not green. Because of government subsidies, they are costing the citizens of Ontario billions while doing nothing to improve air quality. They are a waste of space and resources.

The family homestead is a century farm in Ontario, now owned by my brother. On the way there, I pass a turbine array. It seems like they just appeared out of thin air one day, rising above the cornfields. There are more turbines in the planning stages for the area. Wind development companies are out there convincing more landowners to sign leases for the things, apparently before developments are approved. This is some of the best farmland in the country but a chunk is now out of production to accommodate the turbines and infrastructure. Who is going to feed the world in the future if our farmland is being destroyed?

I am fortunate be able to visit Port Elgin on occasion. It’s a beautiful town on the shore of Lake Huron where the CAW is building a turbine over the objections of the local municipality and residents. This turbine will dominate the view from the main beach and from the lake. The location is dangerously close to the local airport and is on a major bird migration route. There a number of homes very close to the site. The CAW says they are building it for education. Since they have a FIT contract, I say they are building it to suck up some subsidies from the citizens of Ontario.

Don’t call those who are fighting the turbines selfish, whiners or NIMBY's. What is wrong with protecting property values, farm animals, wildlife, wilderness, the view, heritage, or local democracy? 

On top of this, we are subsidising a technology that is expensive and useless. We cannot be complacent about wind turbines. We must work together to make sure that this folly does not continue.

The purpose of this blog is to inspire others to do their own research and educate themselves.
What I write here is MY opinion which is backed up by research. Any fact included in this blog will be easily verified with search of the Internet. Now do some searches and get reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment